This is a reflection on our experiences with trying to build a micro-service architecture for Loadzen – our load testing platform, we started on this path about a year ago when there was even less documentation about how to go about things than there is today. Please note this post isn’t a how-to, or even assumes that we got anything right, it’s simply a report on our experiences and what we learnt.

When we decided to re-develop the Loadzen service, we switched modes, we decided to move towards a SOA-based design, influenced heavily by Erlang’s actor model and the emerging popularity of microservcies to build scalability and specificity into the heart of the webapp.